Friday, August 29, 2008

The Basque Country

I love the Basque country. Yes even though it rains every time i go.... This is one of the top highlights of Spain! Hmmm I would say a combination of Spain, Switzerland, and Tennessee. It´s so very green, mountainous, and has a great local feel. Another unique thing to mention is that they have their own language (basque). It´s very different from Spanish and you can see in some of the below words. Often it gets overlooked, but since we just spent a nice 3 day weekend traveling around various cities- I thought I would pay tribute.
San Sebastian- located on the coast and known for the great beaches and cuisine or Pintxos (the basque word for Tapas).

Bilbao- and the Guggenheim Museum

Sorry- just had to throw this in here. I´m so excited for my long hair! and yes this moment was completely staged. i know that´s so unlike me. =)

Urdaibai- this is the part that reminds me most of home w/ a twist of Switzerland. You can see the mountains in the background, with a large lake in the center, but what you can´t see is that this opens up to the ocean behind me. Such an amazing, peaceful place.

Elantxobe- an old fisherman´s village. Also known for the great summer festivals.

lunch in the port of Elantxove

Each village is known for it´s summer festivals. We caught the opening night of the "Fiestas de Bilbao" and the firework show.

1 comment:

The Richards-Rod, Suzanne, and Addie said...

Hey! You guys look great in the lunch picture. I love the long hair! We will see you very soon!