Saturday, June 21, 2008

Thailand




not used to so many post at once- so after a break..... =)

We finished our trip off in Thailand and Vietnam. These were my favorite places because they were so very different than the big cities we started in. Very local.... very real. The below photos are from our visit to Chiang Mai in the northern part of Thailand and the capital, Bangkok. A visit to local villages, temples, amazing deals at the night bazaar and a very relaxing Thai massage! Needless to say- I loved this place!





village girls from Chiang Mai- cuties huh? shortly after we were attacked saying "you want photo, you pay". not exactly what we were expecting. monks in the Wat Doi Suthep Temple, Chiang Mai
Wat Doi Suthep Temple, the top piece is solid gold- donated by the King
Wat Doi Suthep Temple. This sits at the top of a mountain overlooking Chiang Mai
me at the entrance of the temple
Don´t you love the public transportation here! there´s no back and you typically see these filled with the locals..... as many as they can possibly squeeze in. and we passed these guys along the way...
My family had planned a trip to Thailand at the same time. And just so happens we both were in Chiang Mai at the same time. Small world, or what?? This is my Aunt Pat, Uncle Wayne, and my Cousin John. We met them at McDonald´s near the Night Bazaar- figured it would be the easiest place for Americans to locate!
I loved the ride home in the Tuk Tuk- and so happy after a night of shopping in the Market. You wouldn´t believe all the things we bought. There´s a reason it´s all "Made in Thailand". Such good deals! I´m sure it was all very "authentic" as well. hehehe




The next day, Ricardo, Alberto and I met my cousin John and his girlfriend Julia for our adventures in the nearby villages. First stop- a ride thru the jungle on elephants.


Loved it! but we definately had the "untamed" guy.....
and i´ll stand on the outside please...



we started our hike in Karen Village, where the locals were selling their handicrafts

then hiked to Maewang Waterfalls and National Park


We loved the hotel we stayed at- The Ayatana Resort. A beautiful place and the people were amazing.

We ended our stay in Bangkok- here.... Wat Pho w/ the famous "Reclining Buddha"
Ricky and I in Wat Pho

Wat Phra Kaew- Temple of the Emerald Buddha

The Grand Palace
and Wat Arun along the Chao Phraya River

2 comments:

Richards Construction & Development Inc. said...

I love the names of these places. Wat Pho is my favorite - sounds like a rapper.

Rod

Wadsworth Family- said...

I love reading your blog; you are such the adventurer. Any chance you will be home for the 4th? Amanda